Friday, March 18, 2011

Commitment

Today is another day closer to Ironman Canada. Lately there has been no stress when I think about it...right now I am too motivated to be stressed. I actually can't believe how motivated I am. I have gotten into a pretty slick routine and it is working great. I do admit that training on work days is not so fun but I still do it.

It just seems like at this point everything is progressing so well. When I am swimming I just seem to feel the water better. I am aware of how it is flowing by my body and how my position changes that. My cycling is doing well but I am looking forward to getting out on the road!! My running had been a source of disappointment for a while but I am making some big gains here and am much happier! I had a 2 hour run the other day and felt great!

Last year at this time I did blow off the occasional workout. Winter training is no fun (well for me anyway). But this year I have been pretty consistent and have been putting in the effort. Any rare time I have had to miss a workout I have felt huge guilt. Maybe I should not , because real life is more important, but I still do. But like I said that is rare. My coach gives me a time range for the duration of each individual session. I always do the longer option nowadays. I have said it once and I will say it again....I don't want to just survive the race, I want to do well. Skipping workouts wont help me do that...maybe guilt is a good thing ;).

Things that have helped......
1) Early workouts - Getting them in early has helped alot! Although there is still the rare day that I am on the bike trainer at midnight.

2) Music - Revising playlists, finding new music, having my alarm waking me up to motivation music etc... I find it hard to stay unmotivated when "lose Yourself" is playing.

3) Mental imaging - Thinking what it is going to feel like when I cross the finish line at IMC (I WILL FINISH!!!)

4) Routine - Get up with my son, take him to dayhome, eat, spend a few minutes on the computer, workout # 1, eat, errands if needed, workout#2, pick up son, play time with son, make dinner, do house work and then relax, repeat.

5) Get adequate sleep - Not always possible being a shift worker. When I work nights I really only get about 4-5 hours during the day. I try to make sure every day shift or day off I do get a proper sleep. I have incorporated the occasional short nap.

6) Keeping track of progress- I am much better at keeping track of my actual workout volume. Nice to see the progression. Never thought running a half marathon would be just another training day.

So there it is. I know there will be some dark days thrown in there at some point. But right now I am living in the moment and doing everything I can to keep my head in the game and my eye on the prize. It will be worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it is going well. Store up the good feelings for those tough days. Do the tough ones on the days you aren't sure you want to, and then some day you will wake up knowing that while you could probably struggle through the workout, it's better to get the rest. You will KNOW this, and because you've done the tough ones, you know you aren't just being a weenie. You will feel no guilt. You have my admiration, it was tough enough for me, with no kid, and no shiftwork. Hang in there, 5 months to go. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty new to this triathlon training thing buy definitely find it challenging with shift work :(. Usually I swim in the morning when I work days or swim after shift when I work nights and that's all I seem to fit it on days I work.... Means a lot to do on my days off. Nights are killer with lack of sleep. It's good motivation to realize that someone else is doing it! Keep sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the motivation! Keep up the great work - I miss the die hard motivation of doing the first Ironman :) Share some with me!

    Happy Training

    ReplyDelete