Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hey.....I am over here......your mojo.....remember me??

For a little while now I can't say that I was thrilled with training. It seemed like training was becoming a chore.....I just didn't have my heart into it. I don't know 100% why this was happening. I had planned on going to Penticton to volunteer and sign up for IMC 2010 and this was stressing me out a bit. I was able to get the time off except for one stinkin' day...the sat before the race. I had planned to get off work, fly out there that night, drive out to Penticton in the AM, volunteer from 8-midnight, drive back to Kelowna, then back to Penticton to sign up. Wheeww busy time it would have been! But it didn't happen....

I had been having some doubts about being ready for it. I think my last race (Oly distance) "scared" me a bit. I had some cramping issues that really affected me. It made me think about my plans for next year. Then on a group ride, I was talking to Greg (my coach) and told him about my plans. Greg gave me some really helpful advice and basically said what I was thinking. In the end I decided to not sign up for IMC 2010. In a way this was hard choice...I really had hoped to be there racing. But in the end I feel very OK with it. I felt alot of pressure off my shoulders. My new goals......next summer I will try to get in 2 half IM distances and as many other races as possible. I will have 2 years of build to the big race now instead of 1. I am thinking GWN and Calgary 70.3 for my big races.

Since I wasn't going to sign up, I decided to stay in Calgary and volunteer next year. I just could not justify the expense to go out to volunteer, I would not have even gotten a "vacation" out of it. I was glued to my computer and iPhone for updates on race day. I did go out for a ride/run that day and I was motivated more than I had been in a while. It felt so good to be out training that day.....I missed that feeling.

A few days have passed and my mojo seems to be coming back quite strong. I am actually looking forward to getting out there each day. I am not sure if the "what should I do" stress was affecting me.....I think it did. Unfortunately my tri season is done. I had considered going to Montreal but I decided to skip that too. With a baby on the way, I want to get rid of the credit card debt. Looks like its running races for now!

I know IMC 2009 was hard for some this year (my one friend with 26 IM races said it was by far his hardest). But congrats to those that pushed on despite the rough race. It was fun watching the updates!

2 comments:

  1. At this stage of the game, if training is a chore, don't do it. Better to get your mojo back, let your body heal, and give yourself a break. I think you made a smart choice to put IMC off for a year. You're young, and the race will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. high five to you for taking the time to get to IM. it will always be there so there is no rush to get there. better to take the time to be really prepared than to rush into it and not have the day you want. (i speak from experience.). racing 1/2 IMs is challenging and super fun too!

    ReplyDelete