Monday, November 9, 2009

I am a DAD!!!

Disclaimer: the following blog will contain little regarding triathlon training ;)

On Nov 7th at 10:39 PM, my wife and I became parents to a beautiful baby boy, Logan Rhys (pronounced Reese). He came out a little sooner than expected but both mom and baby are doing quite well. Here is how it all played out.....

My wife had a scheduled Dr's appointment on Sat. Sure enough at her appointment her blood pressure was a little high so they sent her off to the hospital to get it checked out. It usually is high initially and then trends back down, but this time it didn't. I was on my way to get my hair cut when my wife called my to tell me. But she thought it would be a quick visit and not to bother to come. We made a deal that I would meet her that after my appointment if she was still there.

So I get my hair cut and head over to the Hospital. Sure enough she is still there and her blood pressure is not coming down...weird. She feels fine other than a bit of a headache she woke up with...but that is a sign of elevated blood pressure. The nurse contacts the Doc on call and she comes over to visit...and we hear the unexpected....."I think we should do a C section tonight". WTF?? She says that she has to run it by the OB doc that would be doing it, but felt it was the best thing. And then the OB resident comes..."yup we should do it tonight but I will run it by my boss". Then the Attending OB Doc comes " Well you guys are going to be parents tonight".

Very soon after my wife starts crying and says "But we arent ready". I told her "Shelly, we are ready, you know we are" I know what she meant though. She had just stopped working the day before and had planned on taking a couple of weeks to get the house "ready" and to relax. We didnt have time to go home and get her suitcase, diaper bag and camera....so we thought.

It was about 4pm when we were told that we would be going to the OR for a C section. But they said it would happen before 8pm but not to leave. Shelly's blood pressure was not elevated to the point of being a crisis but they decided that the baby was term and breech to might as well do the surgery "electively". Well 8PM came and went and there was no OR. The Dr's had switched over at 8pm, so we then saw another Dr. He came by to introduce himself and said he hoped to have it done by midnight. I was a but frustrated because I could have ran home quickly and grabbed all of our things.

At about 10 they came and walked us over to the OR suite. I waited outside as Shelly got her spinal anesthetic and then was able to go into the room. I could tell she was nervous but she was a trooper, I am so proud of her. They had some music playing in the room and I just sang to her as she was getting prepped. And the it was time to start!!

On of the nurse in the room had done a bit of time in my ICU as a student and she remembered me. She was great about giving me info and keeping me updated while I talked to my wife. She then asked me if I wanted to watch....Hell ya! So I stood up and looked over the drape and saw the legs come out! My heart was beating harder and faster than any triathlon or running race ever! Next thing I say was the bum come out... I see the frank and beans, lol. I immediately tell my wife that we are having a boy! We had not found out the sex before hand, we wanted a surprise. Everyone knows that I was hoping for a boy and now he was coming out!

They get to the head and are pulling and twisting him to get him out and then finally he pops out. Not surprising but he was not pink and not crying. They quickly clamped/cut the cord and handed him over to the peds team. They quickly started stimulating him and rubbing him and then he starts to pink up and bit and take more breaths. I got close to him and talked to him.. "come on Logan, cry for Poppa" . I know he doesn't understand but it made me feel better, lol. Then I head the best sound ever, my baby making his first cries.

Not long after they handed him to me and I was able to let Shelly see him for the first time. I didn't cry but I will admit that I really welled up, lol. We had a nice few intial moments together as they closed Shelly up. I snapped a couple of pics with my iPhone and just stared at my son.

Since then things have been going well. Shelly's BP is slowly coming down but she is otherwise feeling great. Logan is a perfect little boy so far (except the 2 times he pee'd on me, lol) . Breastfeeding is not perfect but coming along....so proud of my wife being so patient and keeping at it. I have changed my share of diapers and have fed him every chance I get.

If all goes well I will be bringing my family home tomorrow. My mother in law is here helping out thank god! I haven't been to the gym/running/biking/swimming since Thursday and I am lost, lol. I am planning to go to the indoor ride tomorrow night to get out and do something. My wife has given her blessing for this. I am looking forward to it!

By far this is the best thing that has ever happened. I can sit there and stare at my son and I shake my head, I can't believe that he is a part of me. I am proud of my wife for being the trooper that she has been! I think it's time for me to hit the hay. I am beat and I think this will be my last good night sleep for a while, lol. I will post some pics when I am more awake.!

2 comments:

  1. I saw this post on the blogroll over at Kanada Keef's blog so I just had to stop by and wish you and your family the best and say CONGRATULATIONS! I have a son who will be turning TEN in less than two weeks and I just can't believe how quickly that has happened to us!

    The time flies, brother! Try to enjoy every moment of it - even the horrible stuff, because you will laugh about it all later.

    And you'll miss it.

    Again, best of luck to you and you wife and your NEW SON!

    Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Congratulations to you and Shelly. This week it's diapers, next week is hockey equipment, and the week after that it's the car keys. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete