Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Not a great start....

OK so its been a bit since I posted. But I figure that no one is reading at this point, lol. None the less I think writing this might be good therapy....help me reflect on things. Life has been good the past couple of weeks. Training has been going well and managed to get a couple of races in there too.



The first race was the Footstock Duathlon in Cochrane. It was my first multisport race and man, was I pumped. The weather turned out to be awesome and I had a good race. The first 5.5 km was an uphill grind for a little bit....good thing I don't mind them, lol. Coming up to the first transition I felt pretty good and was ready to hop on the bike.

Photobucket

The transition went well except fiddling with my helmet strap for a minute. Ran to the mount line and off I went. Things were going well but very quickly I started to get some bad cramps in my calves. I have to admit I was a bit freaked out by this, could not help but wonder how this would affect my race. But very quickly I decided I would not let it stop me. I stretched them out the best I could while still turning my legs. Luckily they went away...for now.

I felt better and better as the bike went on....I was starting to pass people...woot! And strangely enough...passing people on hills. I was keeping a cadence and speed that I normally don't. It's amazing what race adenaline can do. I made it to the turn around and heard them call out my split. I can't remember what they said but I do remember thinking...pick it up!

Photobucket

I am by no means a strong cyclist so the thought of someone drafting off me kinda annoyed me. Very soon after the turn around, a guy tried to kling to me like white on rice. I passed a couple of people and he followed suit...right behind me. He was making no attempt to pass evene after I slowed slightly to see if he would. Enough of that...I stood up and hammered down..that was the end of that. I never saw him again.

I was almost back to transition and I was somewhat sad the bike leg was over. I really enjoyed it (later I learned that I was #44 of 178..kinda of a big thing for me). I was approaching the dismount line and unclipped and started to bring my leg over the seat. That didnt go as I have planned! I must have clipped back in on my left foot...when I was swinging my leg over I delievered a nice round house to my seat mounted water bottle. Luckily my left foot then unclipped and I caught myself. I kinda laughed to myself and shook my head.

After a quick transition I headed back on the run course. My legs felt dead...going back up hills. And those cramping calves came back with a vengence. I run when I could and walked when I had to. Finally the uphill turned flat and then downhill. I felt better the closer I got to the finish.

Photobucket

I was happy with my 2:08 finish. I am now a Duathlete! One more sport to add!


So a week passes and I had signed up for a marathon relay. The fallen 4 relay was to rememeber four RCMP officers that were gunned down in the line of duty. I knew none of my team but I really though this was a good cause. I ended up getting the longest/hardest leg...12.7km with a majority of it being up hill. My calves had just recovered from the Footstock Du and it wa stime to put them back into action.

I woke up early to drive down to the opening ceremonies. My wife informed me that the rain was coming down quite hard...$%#T!!! I am the type of person that will pretty much do whatever in any condition...but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I headed down to the opening and waited for the race to start. It was a staggered start and I headed out to my relay checkpoint to wait.

Geussing that I had at least 2 hours to wait I tried to nap...nope didn't work. After what seemed like enternity I got out of the vehicle and stood waiting for my leg 2 runner. I wasnt sure who was handing off to me...I had not met anyone from my team other than the guy who I replaced (he had to drop out for medical reasons). Lucikly he was at the checkpoint and pointed out the runner as she approached.

So off I go...its raining and 10 deg C. I started off pretty stiff let me tell ya. After a short flat period, the climb started. But in all reality, it wasnt that bad. The rise turned out to be quit gradual and its a nicely paved highway!! After about 5km I was starting to feel good. I wan't cold anymore and was passing people left and right. The hill peaked around 10km and the downhill was awesome!!! I was able to make up some time there! I finished my leg in 1:08! After quick high five to yet another person I didnt know, I was done!

I hopped in the car and headed back to my in laws place to quickly change into dry clothes. Then we all headed over to the finish to meet up with my team. I found the runners from the first 2 legs and we waited for our 4th leg to come in. I could tell she had a rough run but she wanted to finish strong!! As she approached the chute we joined her and ran across the line as a team at 4:35 (I think). Not bad considering no one on my team had ever run a race before except me!

I dont race for the medals themselves but more the memories they represent. But this one seemed to bring me more pride than any of the other ones I had recieved. I am thankful for the law enforcement officers that put their lives on the line to protect us. If me running can help pay tribute to their honour its the least I can do. One of my most rewarding races but one that I really wish I had never had the reason to run.

Ok so back to the present...I have a 3 hour bike ride on the books for tommorow. I am looking forward to it!! I had a great swim today and a "meh" run but that is life. My last swim session with Greg helped tremedously!! I actually think I can do it now, lol. Anyway...I have an early and busy day tommorow...time to call it a day.

1 comment:

  1. DAN!!!! Welcome to the world of blogging! It is great to see that you did your first duathlon, I am soooo happy for you! Good job!

    Ironman here you come ;)

    Anytime you want to come by and chat about training you are more than welcome. You have been so great to work with and it is because of people like you that I love my job!

    You should post your race schedule on your blog so we can keep up with what you are doing! Take care!

    PS/ The legend coaching jersey looks good on ya!

    ReplyDelete