Sunday, October 4, 2009

I just want to listen to my music....

It's been a while since I blogged. It's seems like I sit down to get at it and then I am instantly tired. Last night at the team season ender there was some blog talk, I decided I needed to get back at it. Things have been really good as of late on the training side of things. I got my desire to train back stronger than ever. I have done some cross training, lots of weight training and more running.

I decided to do the Ambulance Chasers run on Friday night. I didn't set any firm time goals but I thought about getting below 50min or at least the same as my last 10km race (51:27). I didn't know anyone doing this race and thought why not run with with some tunes. The course was all on pathways so safety would not be an issue. So before the race I put 55mins of music on my ipod shuffle and off I went.

We got the 2min warning for the race start and then I started the tunes...."Lose yourself" to start. I was hating the first 20mins of the run....I always do. There were a few of us that were "leap frogging" each other and kept things interesting. AT about 5k I one of the girls that I was going back and forth with caught up to me. I heard her talk to me and then I shut off my music. We chatted a bit and then I thought we were done.....until she started talking again, lol. I was thinking "I just want to listen to my music" but I gave in. In the end it turned out to be a good distraction and fun. But it was just that...a distraction....I forgot about my loose time goal. About the last km I said, "ok, lets finish strong" and we both picked it up a bit. I pulled away soon after and crossed the line first. We exchanged a quick high five and parted ways.

I finished about 51:30 so I was happy with that. More importantly I had fun. I wasn't in a bad mood at the start but I wasn't in a good mood either....lets call it neutral. By the end of the race I was in a great mood. Not even sure what my "friend's" name was, lol.

I really enjoy listening to music when I train. I am always looking for new tunes. Lately I have been on a bit of a techno/rock mix kick. I like just zoning out and getting my workout in. The music has been a big factor in getting my motivation back. I have a big year ahead of me!!

I signed up for my second half IM! I will be racing Calgary 70.3 baby!! It's one month after GWN but I am confident I can get them both done. Its going to be a lot of work because I don't want to "survive" them...I want to kick ass.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan,

    Great to see you out on the weekend, good to see you got new bigger goals on the horizon. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete