Friday, October 23, 2009

Well that sucked....

After getting a few errands done I headed out for the run I had planned. I planned on 15-18 km and figured I would decide during the run. Based on this I chose to run from Edworthy since I know this distances from each turn around point. Can't complain about the weather, mostly cloudy but 11 Deg out. Threw on my headphones and off I went!

The run started off good, felt pretty comfortable. I decided to throw some intervals in there to mix it up a bit. There were a couple of runners I could see up ahead so I thought why not use them as carrots. Eventually by Eau Claire I had passed them but I was not feeling good anymore. I was tired and shaky, maybe the blood glucose was dropping. I stopped a walked while I took a Gu gel. A couple drinks of water and I was on my way again.

After a few minutes I was feeling fairly good again and running at my normal pace. I decided to keep to it and hold off on any more intervals at this point. At about the 12km mark I started to feel the same as I did earlier (about 7.5 km at that time) . But now I didn't have another gel with me. I am not sure it was all blood sugar crash...it was only 5km since my last gel. But at any rate I had to walk. Then I would run....and then walk. About the last km I walked the whole thing. I was feeling pretty crappy. I finished the 15km at 1:36....a usual time for me.

I don't think that I pushed excessively, I ran my usual pace with a few intervals. I didn't take any Gatorade with me on this run. I normally do and alternate it with water. And I have top admit that I was sore to start the run off. I had 6 days off this week so I figured I would get a fair bit of training in....and I did. Maybe I over did it this week. But for today's run I will just consider it an off day. Tomorrow will be a well earned rest day...well from training anyway....I go back to work tomorrow.

In home life news...Shelly is heading to a Dr's appointment tomorrow and will probably find out if she is going to have a C section of not. I am getting more excited each day! The baby's room is 100% complete. I am quite proud of my wife and how well she does despite feeling tired/crappy all the time. She is a trooper! Well I am off to grab some advil and a diet coke. Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment