Monday, July 13, 2009

Coral Springs Tri race report

So here it is...my first Triathlon race report.

Night before I decided to watch the UFC pay per view, relax and get to bed at a decent hour. Well, I did get to bed at 10:30 but damned if I could actually sleep. At this point, I can't say that I was nervous but I was thinking about everything. I have no idea what time I did fall asleep but it was late. At 6am I dragged my behind out of bed..a mixture of nerves and excitement in my head. A quick shower, some toast and my wife and I are out the door. It was nice on the way over, she sleep and I got to play my motivation music.

I get to the transition area and quickly set up my gear and then head into body marking. I had found out a day before that a girl I used to work with was doing the sprint as well so we waited in line together. I still am not that nervous at this point. After all the pre race business we headed down to the water. I look at the course and I get a bit freaked out...looked kind of far and I had some self doubt....I was nervous.

THE SWIM

First wave was the Tri-it distance racers followed by the Olympic. And before I knew it the 2 minute warning was announced for the Sprint. In all reality it turned out to be more like 30 seconds...someone defiantly was not using a watch. The horn blew and off we went. I planned on staying somewhat back and off to the side being that it was my first open water swim. I remember walking into the water, diving in and then thinking...holy $&it.....I am actually racing. It seemed like this day would never come.

Initially I felt OK. I definitely noticed the buoyancy advantage of the wetsuit...wow. I am a master scuba diver but it is defiantly not the same wet suit feeling. I was heading to the first buoy and did a look and I was off course...F^%k! Corrected and got back on track, no problem. I made the turn around the buoy without getting killed. But at this point I started to feel super tight and tired in my shoulders. I started to panic a bit in my head. I was thinking I have so far to go and I am already tired. But then I thought ok you have no choice you HAVE to do it. I knew I could do the distance. I knew I was safe but I was worried about know being able to continue. Then the drive kicked in....follow your plan and relax.

Things started to go a bit better and I started to feel better. Heading out to the second buoy I went off track again...I need to get better at sighting. Corrected and got back on track, no problem. I am feeling better and motivated. Made the turn and was heading home! I made it a point to concentrate more on sighting on the way back and it helped, definitely more straight this time. I was actually feeling better as the swim went on. My shoulders were still not used to the wetsuit but it was better. Passed the final buoy and headed for shore! I did a quick exit and then didn't look back...literally. I made it through the swim, that's all I cared about. Once I hit the sand I took off running.

SWIM TIME 18:30 (80th/128)

Running to T1
Photobucket

Hint of a smile
Photobucket

THE BIKE

I started stripping my wetsuit on my way through the transition zone and was quickly out of it when I got to my bike. I decided that I would not Rush myself and make any mistakes. All the sand had come off my feet running so I didn't have to use time cleaning them off. I quickly throw on socks, my shoes, jersey, sunglasses, helmet and then grab my bike. Just before I leave I took in a gel, drank some gel and then started heading out of T1. My plan for this leg was to hammer down and have a good ride.

I felt great from the get go! As soon as I was on my bike I was passing people left and right. My legs felt strong and I was loving it! We hit the biggest "hill" of the circuit...an overpass. It was pretty much flat after that. I got into the aero position and kept focusing on people ahead of me. One by one I catching them and passing...wahooo! After the first 5km the road got a bike rougher and the wind was a bit stronger. I didn't feel stable enough to stay down in the aero position so I stayed up and focus on keeping the bike straight and a high cadence. Quickly I came up on the turn around.

At this point there are less people ahead of me and its getting harder to pass. None the less I was still catching people. I was still feeling good and was getting more confident as the race went on. Less than 2km from the bike/run transition I finally got passed by 2 riders..they were flying! Had to happen sometime, lol. I was very sad to see the bike ending but bring on the run.

BIKE TIME 43:46 (23rd/128) Avg speed 27.4km/hr

Heading out to the bike course

Photobucket

THE RUN

The bike/run transition went well, pretty quick and easy. The legs didn't feel too bad initially until late in the first lap. I didn't cramp but just felt tired. The second lap things were back to normal. I wanted to make sure I didn't fall below 10km/h for speed and I was able to do that. I did get a bit of motivation on lap #2 though.

Right off the bat on the run I passed this one guy. On lap #2 he passed me about 1/3 into that lap. I didn't think much of it and kept my pace steady. But then I noticed as I got closer to him and was about to pass he would speed up and get ahead of me. This went on 3 or 4 times and we were getting close to the finish. I decided that there way no way I was letting him finish before me, lol. The finish turned into an all out sprint. I ran my ass off and blew but him in the chute! But we both laughed and high fived each other when we crossed.

Heading out at the start of the run
Photobucket

RUN TIME 28:49 (70th/128) Pace 5:46/km

NUTRITION

Simple for this race...had a few sports beans before the swim. Consumed one Gu gel as I got on the bike with water. On the bike took in approx 1L Gatorade using by aero drink (found this very helpful). On the run stopped approx 1.25km (lap 1) and 3.75km (lap 2) took in small amount of Ultima at the aid station. No GI issues, cramping or low energy.

Crossing the finish.....
Photobucket

OVERALL TIME 1:31:05 (39th/128)

Overall thoughts on the day.....

I need to get better at sighting but I know this will come with practice. I was happy with my swim. My plan was to get through it and hopefully get an "OK" time and I think I did this. It was a huge confidence boost to get thought my first open water swim!

Again the bike went as I thought it would. Given that I only really started cycling in Feb I think I did well. I really thought running was going to be my strong discipline but I am thinking the bike is going to be now. It seems to be getting better and better. Still a long way to go but I am ready!

The run...I would say average. Nothing extra ordinary but again it went as expected. It was pretty steady and consistent and I felt good!

Most importantly I had fun!! I need to thank my wife for being the best cheerleader ever and Coach Greg for helping me meet my first goal (thanks for reminding me to have fun and smile....I think the pics are proof that I did). I hope this all doesn't come off as being high on myself....I am just thrilled with the results. In the end I am happy with the day even if no one else had been there racing. Next race is in 4 days and I am more excited than ever.

D.

2 comments:

  1. You had a great first race! Congrats. Nothing wrong with being high on yourself after such a good start.

    Sighting shouldn't be a problem at Canmore because the legs are really short. But there's a looooooong run up a hill to transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAAY DAN!!! You are a triathlete!! Good job! I had to laugh at not being able to sleep the night before. I remember before my first 1/2 IM, I think I got 1 hour!

    Bring ont he Canmore Tri!

    ReplyDelete