Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I never really liked the taste of chlorine anyway....

Man, am I tired. I worked the last 2 nights and I figure in have had 6-7 hour sleep in the last 72 hours. Night shift kills me nowadays and given how busy it was it made it a bit more of a chore. My first night I took care of a burn patient and the second night I was the ICU charge nurse. Despite the foothills having a burn unit, we (ICU) take care of the critically ill ones that are too sick to go to that unit. These patients are often quite busy to take care of....and this was the case for me, lol. And being in charge is never my favorite role. By the end of the night I hate hearing my name. But having said that I am on days off now!

My training the last couple of days has been "adequate". Kinda hard to give it your all when you are dragging you ass. My wife had a good chuckle when she caught me nodding off watching some tv. I was switching channels and would pause to "rest my eyes' and then pick up where I left off. I am, however, still very happy with how my swimming is coming along. You have to remember that its all relative.....I am am making some big gains for me. Still no where near where I eventually want to be but I am none the less pleased. I was doing some 300m repeats yesterday and I realized that I barely swallow any pool water now. When I first started I was thinking the chlorine was going to do me in. Not to mention I can't say that I am ever thrilled with swallowing water that strangers swim in. My repeats are becoming easier but its strange that I judge my progess on how much chlorine I ingest ;).

I plan to get a good night sleep and have a good training day tommorow. My week is pretty easy since I race on Sunday but I will make sure I keep the intensity that I want. I took my bike to Bow cycle for the "bike check" today. Not sure why, I knew it was fine to race and they looked it over but there is no record keeping to tell that it had been done. And on Saturday I am going to head over to Coral Springs to do a quick drive of the run and bike course. I know I could get away with not doing it but why not.

Anyway, I short post tonight. I hear a bed calling my name and I am not going to make it wait any longer. Adios muchachos.......


D.

1 comment:

  1. Shift work is horrible. I did it for about 6 years, and it damn near killed me. Hats off to dealing with it, and the training, and prepping for a newborn, AND the rest of life in general. You are going to be one seriously busy dude.

    Swimming is one of those funny things. Plateau forever, then a major jump in distance or speed. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete