Friday, July 3, 2009

I am doing this for me...

I was cleaning the desk in my computer room and glanced up and noticed my favorite mug...
Photobucket

A friend game my this mug after Ironman Az last year after I told him that I wanted to train for an Ironman. The one thing he did say to me was "but you have to get your own finisher mug". That's going to be alot of work for a mug, lol. Why do we do this?? What is the motivation that keeps us going on days that we would rather do absolutely nothing?

I have asked myself that many times and I am sure I will ask myself many more times. But each time I come up with the same answer....I am doing this for me. I think I have come a long way but I don't want to stop. Training takes up alot of "free time"!! Life is going to get even more hectic with a baby on the way...and that is an ultrasound image of my future child on the monitor in the mug pic. I know there will be hard times ahead and will require me to dig deep. But I will...I look at it right now as I have no other choice. There are days that I really don't want to get on my bike or hop into the pool. But I feel so damn good when I do.

Right now I feel awesome. With the exception of a healing blister on my toes that I got running the other day, I am injury free. I have no nagging aches or pains (a quick pause to knock on my desk now). I haven't felt this good since I can't remember when. I am sooooo ready for next weeks tri. Who knows I could have the worst race of my life but I can't say that I wasn't "ready". I will be giving it 100% that day.

So on the training front...I put my race wheels on today. A pair of Reynolds strike carbon fiber rims and conti tires. Behold.....
Photobucket

I also raised my seat about 1/2 and inch after Greg suggested it. And then it was time to try it out. Today;s ride was high cadence and about 60-75 mins followed by a 20 min run...also high cadence. Raising the seat was fine, didn't notice it on the short ride, cool. The new wheels I did notice that occasionally a gust or wind would grab the wheel a bit.....not much but enough to notice. Other than that the ride really nice. I tried to keep a cadence of 100 +/- 5 and that seemed to work well. I made it back to the house at 59mins and felt moderately well. My legs were not sore from last nights hills but a but tired I guess. As for the run it was good as well. I am often shocked at how fast I am running off the bike despite feeling like my legs weight 100lbs each, lol. But that is why they call it a brick n'est pas?

Another great day to be out in the sun! I can't believe the tan I am getting...too bad its all on my arms legs and face, lol. I need to get some sun on the rest of me, lol. Tomorrow is a rest day and I am back at work. I can't complain...I go back for one day then I am off again. Speaking of work, I have to get my meals ready for tomorrow. Until next time....

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment