Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Group ride...flats and intervals (no really ...FLATS)

So tonight was a group ride and the plan was for flats with interval training. Well we got the flats alright. After a warm up we got into the interval part and it was going well. I look up and Darryl is pulling off to the side, I ask if he is OK and he yells back that he got a flat. I thought I would catch up to Greg and Trevor and let them know (or try to anyway). All of a sudden I hear an noise coming from my tire and then really hear a noise...F&#K me dead...I got a flat too!

SO I pull over and start working on that. Greg and Trevor see me from the other side of the road yell that they will be back. I was thinking...don't worry I will be here, lol. Could not for the life of me find the hole in the tube. (mental note..bring your spare tube next time). Greg made it over to me and starts to inspect my tire and finds some fine metal filaments sticking in the rubber. We get those out and then Greg breaks out a spare tube for me. Not long after the tire is fixed and we are back on the road.

We meet up with Trevor and Darryl and find out that Darryl had gotten a second flat! Not cool when there are 4 riders and 3 flats. We decided to head back to teh church via the 1A (same route we took out there). Greg and I had made the u-turn to come back and he tells me to go ahead and be "the carrot". I laughed to myself but hell why not. I know thew will catch me but it was a matter of when, lol. Good thing is this does push me harder as well. Not long after I see a shadow coming up behind me and Darryl was there....and then Greg zoomed by..... and then Trevor..... and then good bye Darryl, lol.

Despite the flats it was still a good ride. The weather turned out to be not too bad at all. I don't mind being at the back right now, it gives me that incentive to try harder. A good training week thus far!

After the ride, I came home and had a quick bite to eat and then watched some TV with the wife. And then it was back to painting the nursery. My goal is to get the room all done by the time I go back to work this weekend. I am pretty sure I will but its not like I have a looming deadline, Nov 24th is a long time away. I am off to read a bit and then head to bed. Training awaits in the AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment