Thursday, July 2, 2009

Finally...Cochrane hill!

S0 tonight was my first group ride. I had done a few rides with others on mountain bike rides but never on road bikes. And in addition it was hills night! Finally I was going to climb Cochrane hill. Drove up it many times but never rode up it! I was actually almost "nervous" about it...kinda almost like before a race.

I decided to just bike over from my place to the meeting point...other wise that would just be lazy considering its just around the corner, lol. It was good to meet a couple of the other legend athletes (Darryl and Trevor). Greg showed up and then the four of us were off. Easy ride out there thanks to a bit of a tail wind. Since this was my first group ride, Greg gave me a quick drafting lesson. I can see how this helps when riding in a pack....no wonder it's a racing no no.

So we get to the top of the hill and we are off!! I am still getting used to the speed, no doubt about it. My max speed was 60km/hr. And yes I was on the brake levers quite a bit. The unfortunate thing about where I work is that I see what happens to people that crash at high speeds...be it car, motorbike, road bike, etc... I have to almost get this out of my head and get comfortable in my abilities first. Last thing I want to do is end up in the very ICU I work in...and since we are the only Trauma ICU in southern Alberta...I would be going there, lol. My coworkers would have a field day with me, lol. Anyway....back to the ride.

I knew I would be riding the hills solo, I know my speed and I cool with that. The guys were on their first trip up when I got to the bottom. A quick turn around and I was on my way up. I ain't gonna lie...I was dipping into the granny gears. But I did shift out of them for periods to make it a bit harder and would stand it up for a bit a well. I knew my heart was pumping hard, I maxed out at 178. As I was getting to the top, the rest were heading down (thanks for the encouragement guys). A quick drink at the top and I dropped back in.

Second time down was a bit better...a little more comfortable. The second climb wasn't too bad, a little more tired for sure but I was still feeling good. On the way up Greg met me near the top and gave me some climbing pointers. Always good to get a little feedback. I have never really learned proper technique in cycling, swimming or running for that matter. I guess that's why I have a coach now ;). Once at the top we stopped, had a drink and decided to head back down about half way. I didn't look at my timer to see how long it was taking each time. I figured it was close to 20 mins but Greg though more like 13 (looking at my garmin it was about 14)Trevor and Darryl were making their way back up from #3. A quick turn around and we were following...and then finally at the top!

I was surprised that my legs felt as good as they did on the trip back. I think it just shows that my conditioning is getting better. My thighs feel good...I can feel a bit of tiredness in my hips. Funny because Greg suggested bringing my seat up a bit to help prevent this. I am sure that tomorrow I will be feeling it, lol. The group ride turned out to be a good boost. On the way out and back I know I was travelling at a faster speed then my average and I felt great. It really makes me want to push hard during the Coral Springs Tri.

Thanks to Greg, Darryl and Trevor for making my first group ride a fun one.!!

D.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your first group ride was fun, and that you enjoyed Cochrane hill. I I've only been up and down the hill once, and once down glen eagles. Let's just say I was catching up with the cars and would have got a speeding ticket. Once you get used to it, you'll find 60 K to be a nice relaxing speed. You might have fun reading about what we did to poor Jenna on that hill.
    http://journeytoironman.blogspot.com/2008/06/hill-silly.html
    You'll know you're doing beyond good when it takes a while for Trev, Darryl, and Greg to drop you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and here's a map of where we went, and my perspective on the day.
    http://keithsodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/06/susi-tried-to-kill-us-well-no-not.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Keith, I can relate to Jenna! Looks like a nice ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    Nice meeting you at the grp ride. Keep up the training soon you will complete your goal and you'll have to find another. :)

    ReplyDelete