Saturday, April 24, 2010

But I thought I already ran the Hypothermic Half...??

Quite the difference a year makes! Last year I remember the weather being quite nice for the Police Half Marathon and this year...not so much. Its not really that hard to believe that it is snowing in Calgary in April. But given the weather we had be experiencing it is disappointing that this weekend it is snowing. I enjoy the Hypothermic half for what it is...a winter half marathon. I would actually like it if was -20C on that day....might as well live up to the name. Ultimately I would prefer to run in "nice" weather and nice being not snowing and above 15C.

Not much I can do to change the weather ;). I will run in anything anyway and I am sure I will have fun. Like the hypo half I am not sure how I will do. I know bike swim and bike are way better than last year but not about the run. I am going with the goal to get under 2 hours...its been a while since I was over and I want to keep it that way.

I am debating whether or not to bring my ipod. Last year I had my friend Detlef to talk to during the race. Its not that I need the motivation to run but sometimes I get bored during the runs. Races are usually much better in that repect. I am leaning towards not bring it but we shall see. I personally don't see it as a safety issue. I run with it at a low level and I feel I am safer than most people out walking without one. I remember a few weeks ago running down the side walk by my house and I could see a guy texting on his phone. Could he see me....hell no, his face was buried in the phone. And the guy he was walking with who I know saw me didn't even try to warm up. I wasn't moving, they were walking side by side taking up the side walk. I run up as far as I could then I just stopped in front of him...he almost walked into me. I just shook my head. So when people talk about it being a safety issue...I don't drink that koolaid.

With bigger goals comes bigger preparation. It used to be that I would run my marathon and then come home and relax. That's how my schedule used to be ;). After tomorrow's half I am to do a 45 min ex ride (most likely indoors now) later in the day. I was first thinking that Greg made a typo but quickly remembered our talk about how things will get longer, lol. Definitely time to HTFU.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great run tomorrow! IN the snow, and rain, and whatever else happens. I'm looking at big time snow here, the ground is covered, maybe a cm so far. I'm not far from the south side of the reservoir. Tomorrow is going to be sloppy.

    ReplyDelete