Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's your motivation....a play list deconstructed...

We all have our own reasons to participate in the great sport we call triathlon. Whatever our reason is I think we all need a bit of motivation to keep up the training. But where do we get that motivation? I get mine through emotions, both good and bad. I find there is no better way to produce emotion during exercise than with music. But I was making up a new play list and started thinking about my choices. I don't always pick the particular song because of the music it self. Sometimes its the lyrics, sometimes the memories associated and sometimes it is just raw emotion provoking. I thought for this blog entry I would deconstruct my play list...so here goes....

1) Stricken- Disturbed...This one is all about the anger. Lots of guitar and loud drums.

2) Eyes Wired Shut - Edgewater....making change and becoming a more confident person.

3) Lose yourself - Eminem....I think if you have ever listened to this one you know why its on the list.

4) Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue...The title says it all, adrenaline producing lyrics combined with fast music.

5) Poker face - Lady GaGa... A nice tempo for an easy run, nice when I am supposed to be running easy.

6) Dreams - Van Halen... One song that reminds you to keep looking forward and if you do you will get what you are looking for.

7) HeadStrong - Trapt...Totally about the lyrics..."back off...I'll take you on...head strong to take on anyone"

8) It's not my Time - 3 Doors Down....So this song is about a relationship but I substitute my triathlon goals. "There's a fear in me...it's not showing"

9) Little Bird - Annie Lennox...Maybe a surprise to be on my list but a nice beat to warm up to on the bike.

10) Technologic - Daft Punk... A great tune to hill climb on the bike, not too fast and consistent.

11) Addicted - Danny Fernandes...I have no idea, lol. I just like the song.

12) You don't Belong - Daughtry... Last year I was running late for the Canmore Triathlon and I was a bit panicked heading out the door. I forgot to grab my ipod to listen to on the way and when I got in the car this song started to play. It pumped me up and calmed me down at the same time.

13) Down with the Sickness - Disturbed...see #1

14) Hold On - Korn...see #1 (again)

15) Walk this earth alone - Lauren Christy...Reminds me of a relationship that went bad that I never got over until I met my wife. It brings back a place in my lfe I will never be again. Don't worry, its ok I am over it, lol.

16) Hot Dog - Limp Bizkit...not many songs drop the F bomb as much as this one. Despite that it is a "slow me down" song, great when I need to be kept in check.

17) What I want - Daughtry featuring Slash...Lots of great guitar, enough said.

18) Faint - Linkin Park....see #1 (yet again)

19) Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson...As much as I think this guy is a freak, see #1

20) Reach up for the Sunrise - Duran Duran... A great song to transition for a slow run to a quicker pace, its all about the beat here baby.

21) Last - Nine Inch Nails... Not sure if anyone has more anger than Trent Reznor..see #1

22) Not Over - Paul Oakenfold feat, Ryan Tedder- This song makes my legs want to move! Love the lyrics too " Time to say goodbye..its time to make a move..nothing left to hide...everything to lose".

23) Ready Steady Go - Paul Oakenfold...One of my favorite intro's to a song. Gets my legs pumping on the bike.

24) Nothing but a good time - Poison...Yup, this one is totally cheesy but it makes me laugh when I am running.

25) Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus...Great beat pretty simple on the one.

26) Dragula - Rob Zombie...Lots of loud drums and guitar. Seen him in concert and he puts on a great show.

27) Rock DJ - Robbie Williams...Another song that gets the feet moving but keeps them in check.

28) Hypnotised - Paul Oakenfold...Oakenfold is one of my favorites...this one is a great beat to get me moving.

29) No easy way out - Robert Tepper...A favorite from the "Rocky" soundtrack. Reminds me that if I want something I have to work for it, you don't get things handed to you.

30) No limits - 2 Unlimited... Simple techno that makes you move. I remember warming up for hockey games with this song.

31) Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down...This one reminds me that despite how good we feels at times we will have bad days. We just need to get past them.

32) life is beautiful - Sixx AM... It's funny how after you experience the bad times how much more you appreciate the good times. My health didn't hit rock bottom by any means but it was headed there. Losing 90lbs has helped me become who I want to be...I am 37 years old and in the best shape of my life...doesn't that sound like a bowflex commercial?

33) Training montage - Vince DiCola...one of the best hill climb songs ever! The beginning just reminds me of a heart beat that is getting stronger.

34) Ghost of me - Daughtry ... Just love the song, plain and simple.

35) Just because - Jane's Addicton...All about the guitar!

36) Down - Jay Sean...Another keep me in check song

37) Closer - Nine Inch Nails....A sick beat great for long slow hills.

38) Vertigo - U2...easily one of my favorite bands, yup that's about it.

39) Guilty - Gravity Kills...yup, you guessed it see #1.

40) More Human than Human - Nine Inch Nails version...Reminds me of indoor cycling this year...totally stole this one from Coach Greg.

41) Blue Monday - Orgy...A great cover that has just enough more anger than the original, are you picking up the theme yet, lol?

So there it is...why I chose these particular songs for that playlist. I am excited to get out and rock it out on the bike tomorrow! Anyone have any music suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Man there are so many good training tunes. I had a hard time choosing, you got plenty of good ones. Here's a couple of my favs.

    linkin park - no more sorrow
    apocalyptica - I don't care
    rev theory - hell yeah
    Shinedown - sound of madness
    Nickelback - SEX

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 songs at about 3:30 minutes per song... you do the math! :) But I think that means I need to make your bike workouts longer so you can listen to all those great tunes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah totally Greg, you don't want him to miss out on some great songs like; Vertigo, More human than human!!

    ReplyDelete